Thursday, December 15, 2011

Do I need to submit income information to the absent parent lawyer?

I don't have a lawyer, but I requested for a modification a year ago and the other party got a lawyer. They already continued the case once. I submitted all my income information to the courts. Now the court date has been rescheduled and now his lawyer wants me to send them my income information. Do I have to send them anything? I don't have anything to hide, but that's his lawyer not mine. Should I get a lawyer?|||I would bring it to court with you if you don't want to send it to him. But yes it sound like you need a lawyer. What kind of modification did you ask for? More child support? What state do you live in? When was the last time child support was set? There is so much more information that is important to know when answering the question.


Edit: In your state they use both parents income to determine how much child support the custodial parent gets. His lawyer is probably wanting to see if you have gotten an increase in income since the last time you went to court. That way he will be able to say that you both are making more so therefore you don't need any more money. I suggest a lawyer so they can prove your point about why you would need more. Otherwise you may end up with nothing based on the way they figure it. In Illinois (where I live) they don't take into account the other parents income unless it is significantly higher and even then they still usually take the min 20%.

No comments:

Post a Comment